Minimalist

rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Sun Sep 4 17:08:43 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie and Bill,

  Sorry for not being active in the list. Too many things to do, always
behind the schedule :-(

  I think Bill's simplification is important to be taken as possible
examples of ways to input signs to computer programs using input devices
wich allow free hand writing (tablets, electronic pens, touchpads as the
ones in notebooks and pamltop computers, etc.).

  There should be ways to program input devices so that the writer can
write in the input devices simplified symbols, such as the ones Bill
wrote, recognize them, match them with full symbols and show on the
screen the full symbols corresponding to them.

  That would mean a significant economy on the effort to input symbols to
text editors, email programs, spreadsheets, etc.

  A thorough ergonomic study of the possibility of defining a systematic
set of such kind of simplied, partial symbols would be very helpful and
complementary to the more linguistic and cultural study of how signs can
be written in simplified ways, in the sense of being written with less
symbols than the necessary for their full, detailed descriptions.

  All the best, hope I can become active again in the list in the near
future.

  Antônio Carlos