Writing Dialogues in Signed Languages

Wed Sep 7 16:30:04 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 7, 2005

Stuart Thiessen wrote:

> In our case, perhaps we might want to borrow something from
> glossing and use a subscripted number to indicate a specific space
> or something. Who knows?  We will have to play with this and see
> what the writers and the readers like.

Thanks for this message....Actually I think there is a very visual
and rather easy solution to writing Reference Points in Sign Language
conversations. Ingvild just started to discuss how it would be
done...So glosses or subscript numbers most likely will not be
necessary, although the author could use them if they prefer...just
as long as they also know of the other more visual options available
to them in SignWriting...We have written large group writing
before...up to 50 people at a time on a stage, all moving around
central themes...so I know it can be done...

Regarding color...you are right that a writing system cannot be
dependent on color to survive, but on screen it is lovely! And I am
one of those lucky people who can print in color for almost nothing,
because I print myself on my home printers and I get the color ink
donated!