Writing Dialogues in Signed Languages

Thu Sep 15 15:56:55 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 15, 2005

Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa wrote:
> The problem that those linguists seem to see is not with
> SignWriting itself. The problem they seem to see is with the use
> (and abuse) of dictionaries: the over emphasis in the use of
> electronic dictionaries to support the writing of sign languages in
> computer editors may inhibit the creativity of the language,
> specially in connection with the iconicity needs of expressive
> conversations.
>
>   I think this is another important point that french sign
> linguists are making, and that the SignWriting community has to
> think about:
>   - should dictionaries be really present in SW text editors?
>   - should they be easily accessible to support text writing?
>   - or, should they be provided as a very separate feature, to be
> used just for consultation purposes as conventional printed
> dictionaries of oral languages are?

------------------------

Hello Everyone, and Antonio Carlos -
Yes. This issue of dictionary usage when typing goes back to the
history of SignWriting on computers. The placement of the dictionary
feature in SignWriter 2e did not happen immediately. The dictionary
features were added later to the SignWriter program. (Note: the first
SignWriter was developed not for DOS, but for the Apple 2e and 2c
computers back in 1985-1986).

In the beginning of SignWriter development, we were typing directly
in SignWriter without any dictionary, and slowly skills were
developed to type directly in SignWriting. But it was hard for people
who were beginners in SignWriting itself, to also be beginners in
typing the symbols. In other words, there was so much to learn that
it became overwhelming for people.

So when Rich Gleaves built in the dictionary feature into SignWriter
1.0 for the Apple 2e, it was very welcome, because beginners did not
feel frightened any longer...They could see how someone else wrote a
sign...not because they didn't want to learn to type directly in
SignWriting, but because they didn't know SignWriting itself. Through
the experience of searching for signs in the dictionary, and then
pasting those signs into documents, people were able to learn to read
SignWriting symbols. So the dictionary feature became BOTH a teaching
tool and a document creator...

So I will tell you my positive point of view on this issue. I think
the researchers whom you refer to, Antonio Carlos, are correct. It is
best to type directly in a language rather than being dependent on
pasting from dictionaries. I think we have graduated now to a new era
for SignWriting. There are many people now, who can read SW
documents, through the experience of the dictionaries...and that has
made some skilled signwriters. Now the skilled signwriters may be
more ready for direct typing, but perhaps back in the 1980s this was
not possible, since SignWriting was so new...

So perhaps both methods of input will always be needed...Direct
typing is for advanced signers and signwriters is my guess...because
they have to know the standard spellings of their written language
and be able to think directly in their signed language, without
thinking in any spoken language...

That is the wonderful experience of typing directly in SignWriting
without a dictionary...you live and compose your document in a world
with no spoken language and it is wonderful!

(This has nothing to do with teaching Deaf children...I know that is
a different world)...

My thoughts for what it is worth!