FRANCE Sign for Etudiant

Fri Sep 16 14:46:27 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 16, 2005

Juliette Dalle wrote:
> In France, we don't like to write the 2 different configurations of
> hand (depature and end of movement), it is a bit long to read and
> to write. I have done an exprience with my students, I have written
> 2 different signs of the same signification. The children chose the
> simple.. Because of clear and practical to read and to write a SW
> text (remember, I don't use only SW vocabulary but too some SW
> texts in LSF lesson). But, it is always good (not mistake), to be
> used as SW vocabulary.

Hello Juliette and Everyone!
Writing for everyday use, with your children, and writing the details
of signs for research, are two different worlds. I am happy to learn
that you tested the writing with your Deaf students! That is an
excellent way to work.

And I am a foreigner to French Sign Language! So I was writing more
detail than perhaps is necessary, since I do not know your sign
language. I was being extra careful to get all the detail.

When we use those small Finger Movement symbols that show the closing
of the fingers, we are assuming that the reader knows the language
already, like your Deaf students. Because technically, from a
research perspective, the closing of the fingers could have ended in
other handshapes...

Let me show you, from a research perspective, what the small Finger
Movement symbols could mean, if we were writing a sign language we do
not know...see the next email message...I will post some examples...I
think you will find it interesting...Val ;-)