The 10 Handshape

Thu Sep 22 17:44:25 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 22, 2005

  Charles Butler wrote:
> The only change I see is where the palm facing line splits the
> hand.  It is, in this way, clearly distinguishable from the
> extended middle finger. Is there something else?  It is certainly
> clearer this way.

Hello Charles and Everyone -
I am glad you feel at first glance, that it looks clearer - That is
good! I believe at first glance it looks better to everyone, me, you
and anyone who knows the L handshape...

But this is a huge change. Every ID number has been changed to make
it consistent with other symbols. This means that every sign using
the 10 handshape will probably have to be re-written, or at least
cleaned-up, in both SignPuddle and SignBank...We will not know the
extent of the problem until both SignBank and SignPuddle have
incorporated the new symbol, which has not happened yet ;-)

And of course, any older symbolset, such as SignWriter DOS and Java,
still use the old 10 handshape as it was defined years ago.

Steve and I are working on updating SignBank and SignPuddle, at which
time I will announce it and then everyone will be asked to take a
look at how many signs need to be cleaned up in each country's
SignPuddle...

I feel this change was necessary..hopefully one of the last big
changes...smile...When you start using it, you may find it a little
confusing at first, but I think we will adjust quickly....Just think
of an L hand everytime you use it and it should become clear how the
new SignSpellings will be written...Val ;-)