There is a solution for the 10 handshape! ;-)

Sun Sep 25 16:34:32 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 25, 2005

Bill Reese wrote:
> Like you said, the thumb is different that the fingers.  Yet, the
> symbols where we use a thumb mimic the ones for fingers.  Which
> begs the question why?  If the thumb, by virtue of being different,
> is given a different symbol, would the problem resolve itself?
> Let's say, for example, that we use a small arc for the thumb,
> could this give us the definition we need?

Hello Bill and Everyone!
Well said, Bill...smile...Thank you for this reinforcement...it is an
interesting topic, isn't it?

The thumbs are different and here is why:

1. When the thumb works together with other fingers, like the L
handshape that has an Index Finger extended as well as the thumb, the
other extended fingers dominate. The thumb becomes subordinate, or
less important, than the rest of the fingers. The direction of the
other extended fingers rule.

2. The direction of the fingers holds meaning. If you let the palm
facing rule, or dominate, rather than the direction of the fingers,
you can lose the meaning of a sign.

3. When we are writing the L handshape, we do not look only at the
thumb. Actually, we look first and foremost to the direction of the
Index Finger...

4. But when you take that Index finger away, and leave only the
Thumb, then the Thumb's direction is vitally important, because it
holds the meaning in signs...

And Yes...you are right about the "different symbol" approach...What
do you think of this? Can you read it? The symbols are unique for
that specific palm facing...but other palm facings would not
change...There are exactly two palm facings that are confusing, and
this is one of them...