There is a solution for the 10 handshape! ;-)

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Tue Sep 27 11:36:49 UTC 2005

I vote for that new symbol too!!

Lucy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Valerie Sutton
  To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 5:25 PM
  Subject: Re: [sw-l] There is a solution for the 10 handshape! ;-)

  SignWriting List
  September 26, 2005

  Hello Charles, Mark and others -
  Many thanks for your feedback about the diagram attached to the end of this message. Mark...your message bounced to the List because you sent it from an email address that is not subscribed to the List...(I believe)...no matter what, many thanks for your feedback!!? Val ;-)

  Charles Butler wrote:
    Prefer the third.? It is unmistakable.? I can understand 2 in context, but 3 is much clearer.
  --------------

  Mark Penner wrote:
    Thanks for the summary. I've been away for a bit, and trying to follow this last thread on the 10 handshape was pretty confusing at first. Looking just at the three choices, I would say the far right is by far the easiest, middle is next, and the left (old) is the most confusing. The middle one can be figured out, even though it isn't instantly recognizable, because there is a conflict that calls for resolution. (the thumb can't possibly be sticking out of the back side of the palm, therefore further decoding is necessary, so you look at the hand orientation, and follow the rules (which I have since forgotten again, but I could look them up, or more likely, just guess and get it right from context).) On the other hand, the old way of writing clearly looks to me as if the thumb is pointing upward, and there is nothing to keep me from interpreting it that way, and signing it that way. If you know the sign, great, but if you don't, there's no way to get it right. Or worse yet, !
    ?if there
    ?are two different signs, one with the thumb up, and one with the thumb pointing back toward you, how would you tell the difference. (Maybe my asking this questions just means I haven't been following the thread closely enough. If so, I apologize in advance. Its just that the sheer volume of posts overwhelmed me.)
    So anyway, here's one "outside the thread" perspective of the three choices.
    Mark
    PS, I tried to paste the picture of the three choices into this post to make it more clear, but didn't succeed.
    Mark Penner, Japan

    Val?wrote:

    Here is an interesting summary of this specific symbol...Looking at
    these three choices, which do you like better? We could include all
    three variations in the IMWA if we feel we have to...Right now I am
    curious what List members think at first glance...What seems easiest
    to read? Val ;-)