10 Handshape

Tue Sep 27 23:05:16 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 27, 2005

> I don't know if this has been thought of, or if I don't understand
> this symbol correctly, but I was thinking that the "thumbs up"
> could be written with the heel symbol. (I think that's what it's
> called.) I will have to sit down at a computer to show you what I
> mean, unless it is clear to someone. :-)
> Adam Frost

Hi Adam -
Nice to hear from you again!...This is cool that you are thinking of
ideas!

I love the Heel-of-Hand symbol (see attached) and you are the first
person to mention it...I would love to share some signs that are hard
to write, that the Heel Symbol solves...The Heel Symbol represents
seeing the Flat Hand base, projected forward, or at least the base of
the hand has to be Flat, so you are looking at the wrist or the heel
of the hand, and the rest of the flat hand is hidden behind the
heel...and then fingers can be added etc...

But unfortunately the 10 Hand has to be a Fist, and that is a square
base, so the Heel of the Flat Hand would not work for that... but it
does work for the Angle Handshapes, and most importantly, for the Cup
Hand projecting forward, for signs like Cup and Boat etc...