Heel of Hand, Front View of the Flat Hand Projecting Forward

Wed Sep 28 02:07:03 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 27, 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 6:26 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
> Ok. Then I did misunderstand that symbol as being a flat hand
> verses a fist, but everything else was correct. :-) Hmm...That's
> too bad because that would have really made it clear, I think.

You were on the right track...I understand your thinking...I am
really pleased you brought this up...

Regarding the Heel of Hand symbol...it is located under the 5 Hand
group because it is a way to project the Flat Hand forward, without
looking down from overhead...

Attached is a diagram showing the exact same position written in two
different ways...You can write it from the Top View or the Front
View. When the Flat Hand is written from the Top View, you can see
the whole hand and that is generally easier for the reader. That
symbol always has the space at the knuckles.

But there are times when some positions are hard to write, and the
Heel of Hand offers us some solutions in those rare cases...It gives
us a Front View of the wrists of the Flat Hand projecting straight
forward...The Flat Hand fingertips are hiding behind the Heel of the
Hand from the Front View. No break in the hand is needed because the
fingertips cannot be seen...

  ...I will show you some other signs that use the Heel of the Hand