Query on Sign Documents

Thu Sep 1 15:04:26 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 1, 2005

Beautifully explained, Ingvild! Thank you for this great explanation.
You are the only one I know of who has used SignBank and placed
SignSpellings into a Sequence, so you understand this so well. I am
encouraging Charles to download SignBank, so he too can enjoy placing
signs into SignSpelling sequences and just by doing it, after awhile,
it starts to make sense in general. Of course, we have much to learn,
as we start sorting larger dictionaries, so that is why SignBank is
so flexible, so we can experiement with different ways to sort...

Download SignBank
http://www.SignBank.org/downloads

Plus, now with the future SignPuddle 2.0, Steve is starting by
building in similar features into SignPuddle, and he has also
automated it a little, so establishing the sequence for each
SignSpelling might go faster for the person entering the sign into
the dictionary....We are starting with simple spellings and will
build from there...

This is a process, everyone. I want to thank all of you for your
contributions to this issue. Charles wrote a paper on how he and
Marianne in Brazil sorted their dictionary by hand. Once you learn
SignBank, Charles, you can apply those theories to your dictionary in
SignBank and that will give us a computer analysis, rather than just
discussing it... I suspect as we do this more and more it will become
more and more automated...

   Val ;-)