PJM and SW camp in Slovakia

Sat Sep 3 20:28:24 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 3, 2005

Hello Lucyna and Everyone!
Thanks for this message about the camp on Polish Sign Language and
SignWriting (that took place in Slovakia....is that correct)?
smile...ha! I got confused because it was held in Slovakia, so I
thought you were writing Slovakian signs...my mistake!

No rush at all writing the naturally-evolved signed languages of Deaf
people in some parts of Slovakia (grin) ...if the education
establishments in Slovakia have not acknowledged signed languages as
real languages, then those who DO use a signed language probably use
it in private in small groups. Maybe someday you will bump into some
of them...you never know. Once a linguist told me that all cultures
have naturally-evolved signed languages, although in many cultures,
the hearing world is not aware of them...or they choose to ignore
them officially...

Val ;-)