Minimalist

Sun Sep 4 19:29:27 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 4, 2005

Rocha from Brazil wrote:
> Sorry for not being active in the list. Too many things to do, always
> behind the schedule :-(

Wonderful to hear from you again, Antonio Carlos! We have missed
you...but I know you are very very busy...

> I think Bill's simplification is important to be taken as possible
> examples of ways to input signs to computer programs using input
> devices
> wich allow free hand writing (tablets, electronic pens, touchpads
> as the
> ones in notebooks and pamltop computers, etc.).

Wonderful!

>   There should be ways to program input devices so that the writer can
> write in the input devices simplified symbols, such as the ones Bill
> wrote, recognize them, match them with full symbols and show on the
> screen the full symbols corresponding to them.

That would be great, for sure...

>   That would mean a significant economy on the effort to input
> symbols to
> text editors, email programs, spreadsheets, etc.

Yes...true...

>   A thorough ergonomic study of the possibility of defining a
> systematic
> set of such kind of simplied, partial symbols would be very helpful
> and
> complementary to the more linguistic and cultural study of how
> signs can
> be written in simplified ways, in the sense of being written with less
> symbols than the necessary for their full, detailed descriptions.

OK. This is a good point and thanks for telling us this...

>   All the best, hope I can become active again in the list in the near
> future.
>
>   Antônio Carlos

Before you go, I want to ask you...How was the presentation in France
in June? The one that presented transcribing video?