dance writing and sign language writing

Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Thu Sep 15 12:21:33 UTC 2005

Valerie and all,

   The conversation in the list about writing dialogs made me think
about a possible deep difference between the problems of writing dance
and writing sign language.

   The point is that usually, language refers to things that are
external to the speaker/signer, while dance usually doesn't refer to
things that are external to the dancer.

   More precisely, usually writing language requires that one represents
things in an explicit way (cf. the use of pictures and formulas in
technical texts that are demanded to be very precise), while writing
dance seems to have no such strict requirements.

   Maybe mimics is in an intermediate situation. Possibly, writing joint
mimics by several people would require the explicit representation of
external objects.

   This feature of language (reference) makes the difference between
language and pure gestures.

   If this is true, I conclude that having a definite set of symbols and
rules for representing referenced objects in SignWriting, specially for
use in the writing of dialogs, is an extremely important feature that
has to be written down so people can start using it.

   Of course, this need has to be balanced with the other needs of the
SignWriting community, so the work can be going on all around every
place. I'm just saying that in some time in the (near) future, that
problem has to be tackled.

   All the best,

   Antônio Carlos

--