Belgium: spelling

Mon Sep 26 14:50:51 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 26, 2005

Kathleen at Kasterlinden Bilinguaal school in Belgium wrote:
> If I can work with this kind of frame, I can (I think) learn
> SignWriting spelling more easely ;)
> Because I now have a clear idea of the 'middle' - universe of a
> sign ;)

Hello Kathleen and Everyone!
THANK YOU  for being interested in the best way to teach SignWriting
Spelling...

First, I believe I have not explained it well in the beginning. When
I say that the Beginning Position is the CENTER of the sign, I was
not talking about the placement in Vertical Columns....That is
another issue and a separate subject.

The CENTER of the sign is like a little the sun in the center of its
own universe, whether you place the signs in vertical columns or
horizontal writing later...the UNIT of symbols that makes one sign
revolves around its own center...The signs could be placed in a
diagonal writing or in circles, but each individual sign has its own
CENTER regardless of the direction of writing...

Here is your diagram taken from the Word document you attached
yesterday. It looks to me that you were thinking of vertical columns,
because of the vertical line down the center of each of your
boxes...That vertical line has nothing to do with the CENTER of a
sign....Continued next message...

Kathleen's diagram is attached...