Northern Ireland Sign for AVAILABLE

Sun Apr 2 22:20:25 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 2, 2006

Dear SW List Members, and Shane!
Today Shane and I had our second SignWriting lesson by videophone.
Shane is in Northern Ireland, and I am in California...8 hours time
difference! There was a small problem and we got cut off once, but
Shane called me back and we continued. I tried to set it up so the
videophone could see my computer screen, and although it could, it
was hard because I then would have to move the camera onto myself so
Shane could see me sign, so it was not easy to talk about the
computer screen...So finally I stopped using the computer screen and
just used a pen and pencil - ha! Much easier!

Shane wrote the sign for AVAILABLE in Northern Ireland Sign Language
(NISL). It uses the Middle Finger straight up, with circles. I have
now added my versions of the sign in the Northern Ireland
SignPuddle...Here are the three versions in SignPuddle (see
attached)...What do these three versions write?:

The first version, which Shane wrote, shows circles parallel to the
Front Wall. The second and third versions show circles parallel to
the Floor. The circles look different in version 2 than in version 3,
but they are writing the exact same movement. Just two different
styles of the same symbol. The double arrowheads mean two circles.

Shane...Your first writing is not the same movement and I suspect you
need to delete that writing, judging on what you showed me on the
videophone...I believe the circles are parallel to the Floor...Do you
remember your password to be an Editor so you can delete the sign?

Great session today too....Have a wonderful week!