Request for Research Data

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 15 16:15:48 UTC 2006

Hello, all!

Things have been very busy for me so I haven't had a chance to keep up
with everything on the list. Looks like it has been very busy! :)

I am doing some research related to SignWriting for my MA degree and I
am wondering if any of you would be willing to help me out with
gathering some data. Part of what I want to do is study the way that
we compose and decompose SW to represent specific signs.

What I am looking for is 25 example signs from any natural sign
language that have these characteristics:

5 signs: easy to write in SW.

5 signs: complicated because of movement in the sign

5 signs: complicated because of contact that occurs in the sign

5 signs: complicated because of non-manuals associated with the sign

5 signs: complicated because of location of the sign in relation to the body
------
25 total signs

If you have examples of signs that do not even use the hands at all,
that will also be helpful. I have run across a few examples of these
in the literature.

I am looking for as much data as I can get. If your sign examples are
already in your SignPuddle, please send me a list of the glosses so I
can use Translate to get the signs.

If you don't have them in SignPuddle, please send the signs to me
using any standard graphic format (GIF, JPG, PNG, BMP, PDF).

Alternatively, if you have encountered a sign that fits these
categories, but you haven't taken the time to write it down, you can
send me a video clip of that sign. No video clips will be used as part
of my final research project without your direct permission.

For other ASL users, I would appreciate your lists of signs as well.
Maybe you would pick different signs than I would pick. That would be
helpful.

Any and all help will be deeply appreciated.

Please send your lists to this email address or to sw at passitonservices.org.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart Thiessen