Request for Research Data

Sun Apr 16 02:34:02 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 15, 2006

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I am looking for the user's point of view. Obviously, this will differ
> from individual to individual based on their experience both with the
> sign language itself and SW.

Smile..it is amazing how hard it is to define terms...the term "user"
could mean so many things to me...

I am assuming you mean a writer, and a writer who knows signing
fairly well. There are some users that only read. And they really
read SignWriting well. But they don't write. There are some children
like that. It is totally astounding how well they read SignWriting
literature and produce the signs they are reading well, but they do
not write themselves...

Others start writing quite quickly...I have seen that as well when
people would receive our SignWriter Newspaper in the mail back in the
1980's...they had never seen SignWriting before in their lives, and
this one Deaf woman in New York, wrote me a five page letter
handwritten in SignWriting basing it on what she saw in the newspaper
we sent her...and she really wasn't sure what she was writing except
that she could read the signs she saw and then copied them while she
was writing..that was a strange and wonderful experience to receive
that letter out of the blue in the mail...

I digressed...I am sorry...I will read the rest of your message
shortly...I think this is an interesting and thought provoking
project, Stuart!!