Suggestion

Wed Apr 19 15:47:48 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 19, 2006

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> The movement is exactly the same as AMAZEMENT. I just copied the same
> symbols that we used for that to describe this sign. Does that mean we
> should use the dots in AMAZEMENT too?

Yes. You are absolutely correct. We need to use dots with the sign
for AMAZEMENT.

This is important for your research project. The writing rules that
we have, all stem back to the 1980s and 1990s when I worked with the
DAC. The rule established back then, was that the Fist could only use
dots for opening and closing. We call that Squeeze and Flick. And the
Hinge symbol can only be used for the Knuckle Joint alone...like the
hinge on a door opening and closing with no bending at the Middle
Joint at all...

But I remember you and I were experimenting that day with that
unusual sign for AMAZEMENT and i was amazed at the sign
itself...because it was so fast and you could barely see the
stretching of the fingers, it was so fast...So we were trying to find
a solution for a sign that had never been written by the DAC that I
know of, or at least it had not been brought to my attention by DAC
members...

And if I remember correctly, I had explained that day that I
preferred to write out each hand position to be safe, because it was
a hard sign... (see attached)...and I wasn't sure how to shorten the
writing of it...but then I believe we both felt that was a lot of
writing for a short quick Flick Open and Squeeze shut...so we tried
to find a shorter solution

Then....a long time later....I see what our experimentation
wrote...and it did not fit with the old rules, and for me, the old
rules work...so I would vote to stick to them...smile...

So yes, can you clean up the sign for AMAZEMENT for us in SignPuddle,
Stuart?...the first two (see attached) are correct and then the last
two need to be deleted and the dots used instead -

Thanks for pointing this out, Stuart!