Teaching SignWriting by Videophone

Sat Apr 1 18:42:05 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 1st, 2006

Dear SignWriting List Members!
Today I taught the basics of SignWriting to Shane in Belfast,
Northern Ireland, by videophone, using ASL signs! Neither Shane nor I
are experts in ASL (grin), but we still communicated well.

And this was the first time I felt comfortable with the videophone,
teaching SignWriting basics. We had to position the camera lens
exactly right, and then I was able to show Shane SignWriting diagrams
that were very large, and then we would discuss the symbols in those
diagrams.

Thank you, Shane, for the good experience!

The videophone holds much promise, although it takes patience to
learn how to use it, and to set it up properly....

The truth is....the Lessons in SignWriting DVD teaches the same basic
symbols well, so the DVD, for beginning writers, is probably even
better because it does not require the videophone technology. But the
videophone gives the human touch...and it is good to know each other
in person, and confusions and questions can be answered more
directly, where the DVD is not interactive...

So if anyone wants to learn by videophone, write to me for an
appointment.

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages