SignWriting in Denmark - politics again!

Thu Apr 13 21:34:18 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 13, 2006

Shane and Everyone -

See this photo pasted below...

Those are Danish Deaf children learning SignWriting at Randersgade
Deaf School in Copenhagen, in 1984 I believe...that is 22 years ago.
That is me, visiting as a guest...yes...I had hair at that
time....And Bente Sparrevohn, their teacher, is to my right in the
photo...Bente is one of the most skilled signwriters in Denmark and
transcribed volumes of Deaf storytelling in DSL in a wonderful
published book...the Deaf children had notebooks which they kept all
their SignWriting in, and they were showing me their SignWriting
notebooks...

Bente tells me that the schools in Denmark have changed dramatically
since the 1990's and they are not as focused on sign language as
much...maybe SignWriting could bring in a comeback to the good old
days! 22 years ago is a long time and of course time marches on...but
we can march into the future in a better way...smile...

Meanwhile people in Norway started writing with SignWriting around
that time too..Ingvild can tell us more about that history...so
SignWriting was in schools in Norway too, in the late 1980's...