still have questions about SignText <-> SignPuddle

Sat Apr 15 15:59:29 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 15, 2006

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> Stev is ther a way to go back and forth from St to SP ... use a
> sign (or a
> few signs) already writtent in SP... load them into ST (with translate
> option...) then add more signs directly into ST and.... go back to
> SP to
> pick up another sign.... and continue the same sentence ?

There is not a way to do that right now. But funny...the whole point
to SignText was to encourage people to write texts without pasting
from dictionaries so much! So you can save phrases, as well as whole
sentences, by bookmarking portions of sentences, and then re-use that
phrase when you want to start a new sentence that might use that
phrase...that saves a little time...but I find creating new signs
with dragging and dropping directly in SignText so fast that it is
almost faster to create the new signs as you go, and forget so much
dependancy on pasting from dictionaries...It takes time to paste from
SignPuddle to SignText and in that time you could have written the
whole sentence directly!

Years ago we were criticized for the fact that people pasted from
dictionaries in SignWriter DOS...actually anyone can type directly in
signs without pasting from a dictionary in SignWriter DOS too...we
didn't use to have that feature in SignWriter DOS and people typed
directly in symbols without pasting anything, but as soon as we got
that feature built in...presto....people stopped typing and started
pasting...

So the more you can create signs from scratch, the faster you will
build the skill, and that will be nice not to have to paste so many
signs all the time, which we do not do in spoken languages when we
type...I did not paste one word of this message from a dictionary in
English...smile...I typed it directly, letter by letter...smile...

By the way, have you tried opening two web browsers side by side
before? Open Firefox and Internet Explorer at the same time. Make
their windows small enough so they fit on your screen side by side.
Use Firefox to create the SignText sentence, and use Internet
Explorer to search for signs in SignPuddle so you know what is there
for you if you need it...smile...

Happy Easter everyone!