Request for Research Data

Sat Apr 15 18:20:05 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 15, 2006

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I am doing some research related to SignWriting for my MA degree and I
> am wondering if any of you would be willing to help me out with
> gathering some data. Part of what I want to do is study the way that
> we compose and decompose SW to represent specific signs.
>
> 5 signs: easy to write in SW.

Hello Stuart!
Great to hear from you again...Your Master's Degree thesis sounds
really interesting...

What is easy and what is hard, usually depends on a signwriter's
skill...there are different perspectives...is this from the student's
point of view? Or from a skilled signer's point of view?

When you ask "easy to write?"

do you mean the physical issues of writing by hand versus computer?

or do you mean what is easy to read? (no physical writing involved)
just what is clear to read instantaneously?

or do you mean what is clean in the invention, with no exceptions, so
it is easy to write because the writer has easy and consistent rules
to follow?

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages