Ethiopian Handshapes in the IMWA

eyasu tamene eyasuh at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 16 10:42:56 UTC 2006

Dearest Val and Stefan and members

  I pass my greetings from the bottom of my heart.

  I was surprised how the July 14 message could be available in my mail box on August 14 as long as I chech my email every day, smile.  Because of this I waited to say something on Stefan's proposal.

  I have seen the very impressive graphic pictures of  EMA 1, EMA 2, EMA3.  I completely agree that they are correct.  My deaf colleagues also wouldn't have different opinion.  In fact there are some complications in other handshapes. We shall see them sooner as long as the blessed works of Val are available.

  Regards,
Eyasu

Stefan Wöhrmann <stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE> wrote:
  Hi Valerie, Eyasu and friends of EMA

I agree and I can understand that it is an immense task to create all the
sets of 96 symbols for one single handshape -

Let me suggest the following procedure. I can immagine the the Ethiopian
experts are the only people to tell us what they really see, sign, feel -
smile - while performing their fingerspelling

Perhaps you can suggest a first idea on how you would write a given
handshape - and some of them look so complicated -

If our team would discuss this spelling you will know that you don#t waste
any precious time with creating new symbols if in the end the experts focus
on a detail that has not been obvious to us -

(I know what I am talking about because it took us so many back and forth
emails to clarify what we should agree upon - while I tried to take the same
fotos - ha it has not been easy at all !!!)

Attached you find a first graphic with my best guess how to write the
handshapes in SW.

This proposed procedure is just an idea - it has not to happen if you prefer
a different strategy.

Stefan ;-)