Writing the 4 Group in handwriting

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Fri Dec 1 15:51:25 UTC 2006

I don't know if there is an official way as of yet. I think at this
point we are still at the "print" stage where we try to make the
handwritten symbol match the printed symbol. We haven't graduated to
the "cursive" stage where the symbol may be significantly abbreviated
but understandable. I know that Valerie wants to be sure that we all
understand the print version before we begin to focus on the "cursive"
type of symbol. My understanding is that her "cursive" versions rely
alot on our intuition of the standard print system. If we have a solid
understanding of the standard print system, then we will understand the
"cursive" better. I don't know if "cursive" is the right word for it,
since I have only seen samples of the writing without any understanding
of the rules behind it.

I find the 4 group frustrating to write. I did experiment with the idea
of eliminating the thumb (to let it disappear into the palm), but it
only works with 3 of the handshapes. If I eliminate the thumb in the
other 5 handshapes in the 4 group, then there is nothing to distinguish
it from similar handshapes in the 5 group where the thumb is on the
side of the hand. So that is only a "partial" solution. Philip and I
did discuss it yesterday and thought about this idea. What do you guys
think ... for handwriting?

Thanks,

Stuart