How long does it take to learn?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Dec 17 16:44:57 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
December 17, 2006

These are two different scenarios...

Learning to Read in Depth

and what I call...

Quick-Reading...

Both are true, both have value, and it is not a question of
disagreeing that both are needed and both exist...Both styles of
teaching and learning exist around the world, and there is nothing
wrong with any of it...

It just depends on the purpose of the lesson at hand, and the person
you are teaching, and the environment you are working in...

I used to teach Quick-Reading courses in DanceWriting. I actually
called the Courses "Quick-Reading"... It meant that I handed dancers
who already knew how to dance, a dance fully written in DanceWriting.
There were no other textbooks or lessons...just the DanceWriting
score. And I would teach them how to read from that document. Of
course it was not in depth. They knew they could take lessons in
depth if they wanted, but they took the Quick-Reading course because
they needed a quick introduction to the writing system so they could
at least recognize some things quickly. And it worked very fast.
There were some professional dancers with the Boston Ballet company,
who were able to review what they were going to perform that night,
with only that one Quick-Reading course...They were able to perform
dances they had barely rehearsed, because of reading the documents
quickly...it took around a half-hour to an hour and they knew enough
to be able to function on stage...

And Quick-Reading courses work in SignWriting too with the following
criteria:

1. The student must be so skilled in Sign Language that it is their
primary daily language...

2....This means they think in a Sign Language, and not a spoken
language. Usually that means they are native signers, and usually
they are adults, but there are some children who do well with Quick-
Reading too...and being a native signer or even being deaf is not
necessary...it is the fact that Sign Language is their primary
language that matters...

3. Everyone knows, both students and teacher, that Quick-Reading is
only just that...a brief introduction to give them confidence.
Obviously more in-depth learning is preferred if they are in a
school...but most Quick-Reading lessons are used with Deaf adults who
do not believe their language can be written...that is what Adam and
I were talking about...that group of people who refuse to look at
SignWriting, can be impressed by SignWriting, if they see that within
a half hour they can do Quick-Reading...

4. Quick-Reading for primary Sign Language users works best with
documents written down in vertical columns...I would never use a
document going from left to right with them personally...but I know
that is our software's fault that there are not more documents that
are written in vertical columns...but vertical columns help speed in
learning to read a document...

Meanwhile, Jason, for your research...you can mention this
above...that there are several ways to learn to read SignWriting.
Learning it in a school as a Deaf child is preferred and then they
learn to read over a long time and in depth, but Deaf adults who have
never had SignWriting in school become less skeptical that their
language can be written, with Quick-Reading courses..

So everyone is correct! We are simply talking about two different
kinds of teaching...

I do not believe personally, that the term Pictogram is the correct
term for the Quick-Reading experience...I understand why you need a
name for the experience, Stefan, but I guess I would prefer, from a
linguistic point of view, not to use the Pictogram term because that
has another meaning in linguistics I believe...I call it Quick-
Reading versus learning how to read in depth ;-))

No matter what we call Quick-Reading, I am proud of the fact that our
writing system can be learned in different ways for different groups
of people...

I will answer your message below shortly -

Val ;-)