Detailed Writing: Heel of Hand

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Dec 1 20:25:07 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
December 1, 2006

> Adam Frost wrote:
> That is true. I do prefer the Heel a lot more. And I have to agree,
> I have yet to really find a time when it is truly nessasary to have
> this much detail, but it is nice to know about it. ;-)

Thank you, Adam, for this feedback ....and so we agree, that this
discussion is for detailed writing for research use...

The Heel-of-Hand symbol holds some promise for showing projecting the
hand forward, parallel with the floor...but still viewing the
projection from the Front View...

The attached diagram shows that the bottom half of the Flat Hand
Symbol, is showing the view of the Heel of the Hand....The Flat Hand
is projecting forward, parallel with the floor...and just looking at
the Heel of the Hand (the shortened symbol) is enough to assume that
the hands are projecting forward...

The example to the left shows the overhead view of the whole hand,
but the example to the right is showing the same position, but we are
not viewing it from overhead, but instead from the front view, which
means that the fingertips are hiding behind the wrist...