A writing system based on choreographic principles - in 1957

Jason Hopkins codenosher at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 4 19:03:20 UTC 2006

I thought you might find the parallels here interesting.

While doing some research on sign language writing systems I ran
across two journal articles from 1957 talking about the study of Plains
Indian Sign Language.  They both mention the need to document the
language for the purpose of study.  One (C. F. Voegelin) mentions an
attempt by LaMont West to apply choreographic principles as a way to
document the movements.  These articles also talk about how the signs
are not a language, just a visual representation of a spoken language.
(I don't see how this can be true since the purpose was to have a
'neutral' language that can be used when people didn't speak the same
language.)  They also say they don't believe they have phonemes, but
could use a writing system that captures the phoneme-like movements.

SignWriting came from choreographic principles and captures phonemes,
so well in fact it can be used for any sign language.

It is amazing how close they came to something worth while.  Two
different papers calling for a writing system, one even mentioned an
attempt that might have worked, but nothing seems to have ever
been done with these.  They just kind of dropped off, a bit like Sign Graphics.

Sign Language Inquiry.

A. L. Kroeber

International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 24, No. 1,
Franz Boas Centennial Volume (Jan., 1958), pp. 1-19

Sign Language Analysis, on One Level or Two?

C. F. Voegelin

International Journal of American Linguistics, Vol. 24, No. 1,
Franz Boas Centennial Volume (Jan., 1958), pp. 71-77

-Jason