quetsion on sign notation

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod acpg at VTXNET.CH
Fri Dec 29 13:59:24 UTC 2006

Val , Shane and others....

actually I've a got a problem with several signs... depending on
handshapes.... because if I go into SignPuddle and look at ths
specific handshape.... and then chose the orientation that would be
the correct one with another hanshape (for example the one finger
hanshape as for /ONE/ in ASL/ I would pick this handshape position...
but then the finger are not in a logical position....

If I write correctly following the hanshape's rotation it LOOKS wrong

If I write it as I see it (with finger pointing up) it looks right
but it's not written corretly (I'm not sure one can understand my
explanation)

Maybe Stefan can help... he was the one that suggested to me tha t my
signname is not written correctly.... I did write it following what I
see (finger's up) but Stefan todl me it's not correct....

so please explain what I'm supposed to write in such cases (it's only
probelmatic with some handshapes... most of them are just fine and
don't get me in trouble!!)
should I write the sign wrong so that it's easy to understand...

but then someone who would take the time to analyse the sign to be
able to sign it... would sign it the wrong way?!?!?

need your opinion on that!

Anny

PS Shane.... french swiss sign language is very similar to LSF.... we
call it LSF too... but there are also lots of different
vocabulary.... some are the exact same signs... other are just
tremendoulsy different...!