CZECH New Sign Dictionary Project on CD

Mon Feb 6 17:37:30 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 6, 2006

Honza from the Czech Republic wrote:
> At one university here, we are making new sign-dictionary on CD
> with I'll call it SignWriting support.
> So now we are making new CD dictionary (mostly with IT, maths,
> typography etc. terms) and we'll need some software for searching
> signs like on the signbank.org is available.

Hello Honza and Everyone!
Thank you for this message...The reason I am not getting to SignText
instruction, is that researchers have contacted me privately about
using SignBank combined with SignPuddle and SignText, and there have
been many emails answering their technical questions...The linguistic
research community is just starting to realize the enormous tools
available to them!

There are several ways for your project to move forward, with or
without funding...

1. Free
Use your current Czech SignPuddle, or SignText, to create your signs.
Then place those signs into whatever software you are using to create
your CDs.

If you are going to print your dictionaries in a book, then I would
strongly suggest using SignBank. SignBank is a sophisticated database
program. Once your signs are in SignBank, you can print your
dictionaries, because it is set up with some really beautiful print
layouts that make it possible to print multi-lingual dictionaries,
with illustrations, pictures...so many beautiful print formats! If
you build a Czech SignBank, it could be shared by all your
schools...It is a great way to print vocabulary lists...

We do not have a Czech version of SignBank at this time, so I would
suggest downloading any country SignBank on the web, and just use
it...We can change it to around 10 spoken languages, but
unfortunately Czech is not one of them...But SignBank works
beautifully for ANY Sign Language...it is only the spoken languages I
am talking about...smile...so if people understand English at your
university, then download the US version setup for English...smile...

Download SignBank
http://www.SignBank.org/downloads

-----------------------

2. With Funding, For A Group Project
I would suggest getting a Private SignPuddle for your group, that
will give you new features, including the possibility of video-upload
and other linguistic search features...To read about Private
SignPuddles, go to:

SignPuddle Web Services
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/services.html

Your project would be private and you will be able to add signs
without the concern of others coming in and using the same SignPuddle...

Once your signs are entered into SignPuddle, you can place them in a
variety of programs, to create your CDs...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

Tech support by voice or video...
Make an appointment by email ;-)

1. SignWriting