SLOVENIA How to start to learn SignWriting

Tue Feb 14 17:26:34 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 14, 2006

Matjaž Juhart from Slovenia wrote:
> of course we will come to learn in any workshop there will be
> organized. and we are interested to buy manual on how to start.

Hello Matjaz!
Wonderful to hear from you again. I am sorry I am late with sending
you materials and information through the postal mail, and I hope to
get to that soon, however, even when you receive those materials, it
is best to learn with me here on the SignWriting List...Consider this
a workshop, right here, on the List! And it is free...

Ask me questions, and I will answer...

Everyone is at different levels of skill here on the List, so you
need to ask me questions directly. It is great that you are
beginning. Your questions are welcome.

QUESTION
How do I start learning SignWriting?

ANSWER
There are TWO important ways to start...and both should be done together

1. Read the official textbook :

Download it for free:

Lessons in SignWriting Textbook
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0116-Lessons-SignWriting.pdf

Read it directly on the web for free:

Lessons in SignWriting Textbook on the Web
http://signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/lessonsweb.html

2. Write your first Slovenian sign in SignPuddle

What is the number 1 in Slovenian Sign Language? Show us a diagram of
your numbers 1-10, and I can help you write those...

Try to write it in SignPuddle. How?

Go to:

Slovenian SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-SI

See the icons to the left. Scroll down the page and click on
SignMaker Icon. Try!...drag symbols over to a SignBox...add your sign
to the dictionary...write again when you need help...

I look forward to teaching you SignWriting, step by step, right here
on the SignWriting List...