MOUTH Cheeva and Cha

Mon Feb 27 23:09:58 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 27, 2006

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> So for every day use and in a different situation with a different
> intention
> ... yes I would vote for short versions... smile
>
> It is exactly as Adam mentioned in one of his last messages- it is
> a big
> difference - to transcribe a given performance - or to express my own
> ideas/feelings or to teach SL or to offer materials to improve spoken
> language skills ...

Yes.. exactly...writing a note to a friend in ASL signs..I do not
feel the need to write more that around 2 facial expressions per sign!

Teaching Deaf children languages is a different
environment...smile...and a totally different task...

I believe that CHA and CHEEVA can be reduced to two faces at most for
writing for everyday use...maybe even a blending of two, making one
combination face...but ASL users have to tell us which ones give them
the required information to read it quickly...

So starting with more detail and whittling it down to less is a great
way to start...

Transcribing from video usually gives more detail, than when people
write for everyday use...so they are different experiences...