length limit

Mon Feb 6 21:09:31 UTC 2006

Hello Charles!
Exactly! Cherie and Ingvild wrote email in sentences with
Lanes...without any need for a word gloss...This changes the
experience of writing email in SignWriting, because now we are
getting to real Sign Language grammar issues...writing directly in
the movements of signed languages, with no spoken language
involved...and that is really great...The other email program in
SignPuddle is still there to use, but it had been criticized by those
who do not want to use glosses to write signed languages, so now we
have both for all kinds of people!

Actually Steve did develop a way to access the SignPuddle dictionary,
while composing in SignText, but since SignText just was released in
this new version, less than a week ago, I have not had the chance to
write the manual yet...

Steve - Can you teach everyone how to use SignPuddle to get some
signs into a SignText sentence?...

Frankly, I hope that most people will compose each sign directly in
SignText without thinking in glosses...that is the whole point of
SignText...

And, SignPuddle already has a way to search for signs with different
handshapes...but not related to email. When we type email in English
we do not search for words in a dictionary...we type directly, and
that is what SignText gives us...so there are different programs for
different purposes...

Amazing isn't it?...smile...

Want to try it? Go to:

SignText
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/signtext/signtext.html

Val ;-)

PS. What is the difference between SignPuddle, SignBank, and SignText?

SignPuddle...Create signs online, add them to a dictionary, search
the dictionary, send email using glosses

SignText...Create Sign-Sentences and Sign-Documents online or
offline, send email, no glosses involved!

SignBank...Create, Print, Search and Publish Multi-Lingual Sign
Language Databases...SignBank can be used to print thick
dictionaries....like a websters dictionary...easily and
automatically, once the database is filled with signs...

Both SignText and SignWriter are ways to create documents...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

Tech support by voice or video...
Make an appointment by email ;-)

1. SignWriting