playing with faces

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Tue Feb 7 18:28:00 UTC 2006

That sign is a vehicle classifier, fishtailing or swerving ...  Trying to
write things that can't be easily glossed.

Most of the movement, the 'fishtailing,' comes from the wrist flexing. The
back end of the car is going all over (wrist flexes) while the car is
continuing to move forward.  I included the wrist flexes because they are
the primary motion.  I suppose I don't really need them, since I put the
different hand facings in there...  Like I said a while ago, I struggle
with how much information is 'just enough' and how much is too much.

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
02/07/2006 11:36 AM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] playing with faces

SignWriting List
February 7, 2006

> Cherie wrote:
> according to the book, the last face has "mouth open teeth neutral"
> but it looks right for what I want-- that "AH I'm gonna die
> grimace" Which face should I have used for that?

Hello Cherie and Everyone!
I am sooo glad you are testing and using SignText. Today I am working
with our SignBank programmer, Todd Duell, so it is great that you are
giving Steve feedback, which I cannot at the moment...smile...

Regarding this sign, Cherie (see attached)...

What does it mean? smile...

The description "mouth open teeth neutral" was my way of explaining
that you see the teeth, but the teeth are not chattering, or biting
or grinding...they are just in plain view without any extra movement!
So we use that symbol whenever the teeth are an important part of the
sign...so I think it is fine!! If it looks like it, use it! smile...

Why the wrist flexing in this sign? It just looks like a palm-facing
change, which you can see by the hand positions you wrote, so the
wrist-flexing symbols are not necessary, unless you really want wrist
flexing? Or are you trying to write rotations? Rotations are a
different symbol. But anyway, I suspect the handshape changes are
clear without any extra rotation symbols....smile...