Classifiers in SignPuddle

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Fri Feb 10 19:59:42 UTC 2006

The trouble with adding classifiers is that you can't really do generic
classifiers.  The handshape carries meaning, but the motion depends
entirely on the unique circumstances you are trying to depict.  Like my
vehicle swerving (will try to film it this weekend) that is describing
that particular instance where I fishtailed on the road.  I have swerved
or fishtailed other times, but I would use the classifier differently,
because the situation was different.

I'm also not clear on the use of the 'tense' symbol to identify
classifiers.  How and where is that placed?  I have read what's in the
textbook, but I don't really understand how to use that symbol to show a
classifier.

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
02/10/2006 12:10 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc
"Thierry Haesenne" <thierry.haesenne at ilmh.be>
Subject
[sw-l] Classifiers in SignPuddle

SignWriting List
February 10, 2006

CLASSIFIERS
Does anyone have time to add more classifiers to the ASL SignPuddle?
(see attached)...

Are there other countries that have classifiers in their
SignPuddles?... I hope so!  Val ;-)