BRASIL Composed signs: Libras

Mon Feb 13 19:09:53 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 13, 2006

BRASIL....

Hello Cristina!

Wonderful web page that mentions and uses SignWriting!
http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/macripiper/ils.htm

OK...regarding the Brazilian sign for CHURCH...

> Cristina wrote:
>> Well...I'd ask you if writing vertically it won't be better wite
>> it as
>> in the pic#2 and horizontally as in the pic#3.
>> It's a composed sign: /house/+/cross/.
>> But, in the horizontally way, how could we distinguish that it's a
>> composed sign?

Val answers:
When you say composed sign, do you mean a compound sign? There are
several ways to write this. The sign for CHURCH is now in your LIBRAS
SignPuddle on the web...I added different versions there:

LIBRAS SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-BR

I placed them under the name IGREJA...is that the word CHURCH in
Portuguese? If not, perhaps you would like to become an editor of the
Brazilian SignPuddle and you can then correct the name and the
SignWriting if you wish? Tell me if you would like to be an
Editor...it would be great for your students to have a place to enter
and discuss signs on the web in your class.....smile...

Below are the four signs as an attached diagram to this email...

Number 1 is read: Cross-House (reading down)
Number 2 is read: House-Cross (reading down)
Number 3 is read: House-Cross (reading left to right)
Number 4 is read: House-Cross (reading left to right)

Number 4 tells us that it is a compound sign. The other three
versions write them close enough together to know they are one sign.
I don't think the added line for compound-sign, which is like a
hypen, is necessary to read it, do you? If the signs are placed very
close to each other I think it is obvious...what do you think?  Val ;-)