LESSON Eyegaze

Tue Feb 14 17:54:55 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 14, 2006

> Cherie in Georgia, USA wrote:
>> I thought I remembered being corrected on the eyegaze before, and
>> tried to get it right this time.  Obviously I still need work on
>> eyegaze...

Eyegaze arrows follow the same rules as larger arrows for arm
movements. A double-stemmed arrow means movement parallel with the
Front Wall...which is Up, Up-Diagonal, Down-Diagonal etc. So if a
signer is looking to the right or left, down at something placed
there, then the Eyegaze is down-diagonal, which is double-stemmed...

Single-stemmed arrows mean parallel to the floor...so that is gazing
forward, forward-diagonal etc...It is rare to have a back-diagonal
eyegaze, but it can exist..like seeing something behind you ...

So you had written single-stemmed arrows when you meant double-
stemmed arrows...smile...easy to do! It is the kind of thing that is
easy to mis-read too...like a typo error you don't notice...smile...

You are doing great, Cherie...really!!