AW: [sw-l] Writing mouthing of words with SSW

Fri Feb 24 21:07:51 UTC 2006

Hello Erica,Cherie, Valerie and friends, -

it is interesting how things need some time to be of more interest - smile -

Well I put a lot of energy in Mundbilder as we call these articulation
without voice that goes along with the SL - performance. So the mouth
provides a lot of information that has to be written in DGS (German SL) -
otherwise my students would not have any chance to translate the SW document
written in signed German or in a true DEAF DGS into German.

Or you can say - otherwise the transcription of the SL-performance would
lack an important aspect of information.

But this is my main interest - I want to transcribe SL as accurat as
possible - I want to offer bilingual materials that you may compare with
what you know from other language courses ...

I invented a new notation symbol set that is  called "Mundbildschrift"

Valerie - I think it is very important to understand the difference between
"Mundbildschrift" and  Mundbilder in SignWriting /GebaerdenSchrift)

"Mundbildschrift" is only for the purpose to support deaf students (of any
age) to develop a feeling / memory/ idea - whatever - of the
"soundproduction" that goes on if you voice out loud any given word in
German (or English - or ..... ) as the hearing do. So it is a tool to
improve articulation and vocabulary learning.

I can understand and it is no problem to me if this focus is sometimes
misunderstood neglected or even hated by some Deaf people or SL- teachers or
linguists .or ...

Mundbilder in SignWriting are different story!  And it is important to
understand the difference between the two systems.

Mundbilder are symbols within the IMWA that are invented by Valerie Sutton
except for my "mouth for ie" wich is a combination of two different symbols
- smile -

Mundbilder  try to describe or indicate   mouth m o v e m e n t s   as they
can be seen by the deaf dialog partner -

Since many sounds of speach cannot be distinguished just by lip reading it
is no surprise that same happens with the Mundbilder.

And in fact it is kind of guessing game to identify a specific Mundbild if
there are some other options ....

So in this case I don't distinguish between "B" and "P"  or "D" and "T" or
"N"

On the other hand there is no doubt about "M" or "L" the way I use these
symbols.

But it would be much better to show the difference in graphics.

So I will prepare more emails to show the difference.

Love to read more messages about this problem. I understand that some or the
majority of ASL - signers do not use these lip-movement information ...

But there are several other SL in the world where this is an important part
of the performance.

Stefan ;-)