Writing mouthing of words with SSW

AdamFrost icemandeaf at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 26 18:29:18 UTC 2006

I think I didn't explain well enough. CASE and SEE are two different things. SEE is used to represent English words regardless of the concept being correct. CASE is basically signing ASL but in English order and is usually only with interpreting. CASE is more like PSE. I will have to think of an example and write it in SW. ;-)
Adam
-----Original Message-----
From: "Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Date: 02/26/06 10:07 AM
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Writing mouthing of words with SSW

SignWriting List
February 26, 2006

Hello Adam and Stefan!

Adam Frost in California wrote:

> Val,
> You explained it beautifully. And those two ways that you showed
> are call sandwiching (sign with fingerspelling) and expansion
> technices of ASL. The latter is used among Deaf to Deaf
> conversation more often than the first since English is not
> considered very important to ASL. Sandwiching is used when the
> English word is important (like for education if Deaf to Deaf).

Thank you, Adam! I did not know the term sandwiching...that is a new
term for me...thanks for informing us of this!

> My expansion might be a little more, depending on the Deaf and how
> much the idea is important. For example, I might go into the idea
> that a ship is large and metal and usually used by the navy, and a
> boat is smaller and usually made of wood. Or it might be bar none
> to where I just sign BOAT for both if it isn't at all important.

Yes...exactly...it is this part of ASL that is sooo hard for those
who are new to the language, but it is also the wonderful visual
nature of these descriptions that make ASL such a beautiful and rich
language...oftentimes there is no English translation possible that
can match the visual accuracy of these classifiers...so there is
nothing to mouth...

> However, what would be more important is this example "The ship is
> blue. The boat is white." in ASL would be the comparision. Ship (or
> BOAT as it might just be signed) would be placed on one side,
> discribed as blue (and anything else needed) and boat would be
> placed on the other side of the signer and discribed as white.

Yes. In SignWriting, we call these Lanes. The sign to the right, is
placed in the Right Lane, and the sign to the left, is placed in the
Left Lane. You can write sentences with Lanes in SignText:

SignText
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/index.html#SignTextEditor

> Sefan, there is a time where there is mouthing, but that is with
> transliteration (a branch off of Interpreting) which is English to
> Conceptually Acurreate Signed English (CASE). This is where it
> would be signed BOAT BLUE. BOAT WHITE. while mouthing The ship is
> blue. The boat is white. This would be the perfect time to write
> the mouthing if this was to be written. But this is not ASL, this
> is a form of interpreting. So even though ASL does not use mouthing
> as far as representing the English words, I am glad that the IWMA
> has a way for it so that if someone needs to they can.

Yes. Well said!

People who sign using American signs, are not necessarily signing in
the grammar of American Sign Language...In the US we have many terms
we use to explain a variety of grammar choices, using American
signs...For example:

ASL...Deaf to Deaf grammar
PSE...(Pidgin-Sign-English)...is most likely what I sign...some
English grammar blended with some ASL grammar (even though I am
trying for ASL grammar ;-)
CASE...described above
signing ASL signs in English word order used to be called Signing
Exact English but I am not sure that is the right name any longer...

Thanks to you both for an interesting discussion!