signs in different cultures

Tue Jan 17 03:51:06 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
January 16, 2006

Liz Harvey wrote:
> Thanks Valerie!  I am interested in any information I can get on using
>> SignWriting out in the field for research such as in Primatology.
>> Several students have asked me if there are examples of research
>> where someone has used SignWriting to map the movements of humans,
>> non-human primates, or other animals.

Hello Liz and Neil and Everyone!
What a great question...smile...what are non-human primates?
uh...like apes or monkeys or gorillas? I looked up the word primate
to make sure I understood, and I got this definition...smile...

-----------------

primate 2 |ˈprīˌmāt| |ˌpraɪm1t| |ˌpraɪˈmeɪt| |ˌprʌɪmeɪt|
noun Zoology
a mammal of an order that includes the lemurs, bush babies, tarsiers,
marmosets, monkeys, apes, and humans. They are distinguished by
having hands, handlike feet, and forward-facing eyes, and, with the
exception of humans, are typically agile tree-dwellers. • Order
Primates: several families.

-----------------

Have you visited the MovementWriting site, Liz? It discusses the fact
that Sutton Movement Writing is a way to read and write all
movement....but SignWriting is the section of the writing system that
focuses on Sign Languages around the world...

Technically, Movement Writing can write any movement not specific to
signed languages...For example I have written some dog movement, and
once I was asked to write the movements of spiders from a videotape
but that project never happened. I did, however, write the body
language of five hearing people sitting on a couch once...so anything
that moves, can be written...I was asked to write the difference
between the movements of a boy playing who was not autistic, and
compare those movements to a child who was autistic...

SignWriting takes the same Movement Writing symbols and applies them
to writing the way the body moves when people sign...Sign Languages
are not international. There are oftentimes one or two signed
languages within one country, and they are different languages than
other countries. But they all use movement, and SignWriting is a way
to write movement...

So if an ape or chimpanzee signs, of course that movement could be
written with SignWriting, but if you wish to write his scratching and
how he swings from a tree, we can write that with Movement Writing,
which is more a generic Movement Writing system, and not specific to
Sign Languages. DanceWriting is specific to dance movements,
MimeWriting is specific to classic mime like Marcel Marceau,
SportsWriting writes the movements of skateboarding, gymnastics, ice
skating etc and we have a generic Gesture writing for scientific
research on movement...

Smile...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting