where is this handshape?

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Thu Jan 26 20:10:18 UTC 2006

Its a local variant of the sign that means 'Junior', as in an 11th grader.
   I'll need something similar for Sophomore, the ring finger, only,
extended; everything else up.  We also have a sign that means
'junior/senior' a student who is both at the same time (yes that is
possible here at GSD)  which I can do with whats in the SignPuddle.  I'm
trying to document as many of the GSD-only signs I can find.

I have downloaded SignBank, and I am eager to start the lessons.  I can't
figure the darn thing out.  I did read the manual that was online, but all
I see is a list of words...  how do I add my stuff?  Ok, I'll try to be
patient, I know you're busy...  ::grin::

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
01/26/2006 10:10 AM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] where is this handshape?

SignWriting List
January 26, 2006

Cherie from Georgia wrote:

------------------------

Hello Cherie:
So in other words, you want all five fingers up and stretched, and
then you project the Index Finger alone, forward??

As you know, our handshapes are grouped by the numbers 1-10 in
American Sign Language. The first symbol you show above is the 8 Hand
Group, because Group 8 involves the Middle Finger. The MIddle Finger
is the lowest finger in that handshape, so it determines that it is
in Group 8....The second one is in the 9 Hand Group, because it
involves the Index and Thumb...

Based on the lowest finger, the handshape you want should be in the
first hand group for the Index Finger. But it is not there, you are
right! It belongs at the end of Group 1. I need to add it to the
IMWA, and that may take me a week or so...or whatever...I am always
behind by several weeks work these days...so meanwhile, I would
suggest using the 5 Hand, and just show contact with the Index finger
in the 5 hand for now, until I can add the symbol you want...

Want to show me the sign you want to write?