AW: [sw-l] ASL Grammar - Is this correct?

Sun Jan 29 12:09:06 UTC 2006

Hi Valerie and listmembers,

I looked at the "maslunitk1" page 9 and would transcribe your question like
attached  - with furrowed eyebrows.

Interesting to see that the student in the drawings switches between
dominant left and right handed signing - ( as far as I understand.. as a
foreigner....)

I ignored that and transcribed the sign for name with a movement of the
right hand and added the arrows ( not needed - smile I know)to allow people
who become interested in SW to compare the drawing with the transcription.

For the same reasons I followed the palm orientation of the index hand
while performing the sign for you -

I finish with a different sign - just as someone is asking a question.

You are right that it is great to be able to transcribe ASL grammar from
such wonderful book like the master ASL ...

This sentence is an excellent example to study SL in detail. Not many people
are aware of using the deixis instead of the possessing  "your".

Same with the eyebrows - yes -no question versus WH - question -- ...

I will look the German grammar - what do they say? smile -

I know that these questions are not a matter a SignWriting but rather of
teach ASl - so hope you don´t mind that I mention these aspects at this
listserve - somehow off the topic  -

Stefan ;-)