USA Informing ASL Teachers About SignWriting

Barbara O'Dea odeab at UNM.EDU
Mon Jan 30 19:01:38 UTC 2006

Hi Steve,

I didn't expect to post anything else on this thread, but ....

I would be careful about relegating the resistance of Deaf people to
ignorance, pride, and politics. We are involved with deep-rooted
cultural influences of oppression that continue to haunt the Deaf
community (especially in language and education).
If we think of the problem as one of ignorance, pride and politics that
can be overcome with information, explanations and descriptions, we may
be on the wrong road to change. I expect that a change in cultural
views, that have evolved in a milieu of oppression and paternalism, will
take a great deal more than providing information. I thing the task of
getting Deaf communities to accept a written system for their signed
langauges must include dealing with those deep-rooted cultural mores.

odeeodee