where is this handshape?

Thu Jan 26 20:37:51 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
January 26, 2006

Cherie in Georgia wrote:
> Its a local variant of the sign that means 'Junior', as in an 11th
> grader.    I'll need something similar for Sophomore, the ring
> finger, only, extended; everything else up.  We also have a sign
> that means 'junior/senior' a student who is both at the same time
> (yes that is possible here at GSD)  which I can do with whats in
> the SignPuddle.  I'm trying to document as many of the GSD-only
> signs I can find.

> I have downloaded SignBank, and I am eager to start the lessons.  I
> can't figure the darn thing out.  I did read the manual that was
> online, but all I see is a list of words...  how do I add my
> stuff?  Ok, I'll try to be patient, I know you're busy...  ::grin::

Regarding SignBank -
It is wonderful to know you are interested Cherie! That makes me
happy. Yes...I got overwhelmed by houseguests, and one phone call
after the other and well - you know life! We all have times like
that, don't we?...

But I will be happy to start teaching SignBank, now that I feel
inspired again by your interest ;-))

Regarding the sign for Junior -

Signs like these may technically have a minor difference in the
finger extending down a little, but just a minor difference is not
necessarily required to write it anyway...We used to write with a
much smaller symbolset, and we got along ok!

I will add the handshape to the IMWA later, but I think you can write
what you need right now is my guess...

Attached is the way we have always written the sign for Junior,
without adding a new handshape to the IMWA...

Would this writing work for you?