USA Informing ASL Teachers About SignWriting

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 30 19:58:25 UTC 2006

I have to agree with you there. And I think that we need three tings:
1: patience and time
2: humility,at least for the non-deaf among us
3: more written stuff published. The more the signed languages are written,
and the writing becomes available through paper or web, the more accepted it
will be. The written stuff ought be either original writings by
native/fluent/recognised signes, or transcripts from videos made by such
signers. All the stuff that we non-deaf can make, should be marked as
'attempts by a on-deaf person' or something like that. We need to know that
the deaf people have been downtrodden and paternalised for so long and to
such a degree that we have to take hurt feeling for real.

Ingvild