problem opening SignBank editor

Tue Jan 31 21:31:16 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
January 31, 2006

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> I downloadee the .sit version without any problem... in the folder
> I get the
> Open Me MAc but when I double click on it it says I need MacOsX
> 10.1 or a
> later version  certified by File Maker!
>
> I only have a Mac Os 9,2.... does this mean I won't be able to open
> this
> file?!?!?

How sad. I didn't realize that. You see, if you owned the actual
FileMaker program, which costs money of course, then I believe you
could use it on Mac OS 9. But what I am using is something called
SignBank Runtime. The word Runtime means that FileMaker is letting us
use it, without owning the FileMaker program. So they gave it to us
for free...So I assumed that since it works with FileMaker in OS 9,
that the Runtime would be the same, but I was wrong!

So I will place this information on our web sites in the download
area, that SignBank Runtime requires Mac OS X, 10.1 or later...

Yes, this means you cannot use SignBank Runtime unless you upgraded
to Mac OS X...

It has been a long time since Mac OS X has existed...Have you
considered upgrading to the newer operating systems? I know this is
an enormous hassle, but my hands are tied, unless

Of course I am as disappointed as you are! I will talk to our
programmer about it...