BRASIL SignWriting for the Deaf Blind

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 7 01:27:11 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 6, 2006

Dear SW List!
Here is the original message Dr. Lima sent to me. I will answer next
message:

From: "Centro de Estudos Inclusivos \(CEI/UFPE\)" <cei at ce.ufpe.br>
Date: July 2, 2006 9:20:38 AM PDT
To: <sutton at signwriting.org>
Subject: Tangible sign Language.

Dear Valerry: :

I am currently researching on SignWriting. My effords, however, is on
making it tangible so that one can read it by touch. I know it may
sound crazy and perhaps it is, but I think many people will benefit
from it.
First, a blind or deafblind person will be able to comunicate with a
deaf person who writes on SignWriting. Second, blind researchers like
myself will be able to colaborate with science by offering his or her
knowledge on the matter.
Third, parents, relatives or friends of deaf people will be able to
teach the signwriting to these people, even if they are blind.
I have researched blind representation of two dimensional patterns
and I think this knoledge can be put in the form of haptic
configuration of signwriting.
Have you some knoledge of simillar work being done elsewhere? What is
your opinion on the matter?
Can you send me articles or any other studies you may have on the
subject? I need them on eletronic format so I can read with a voice
synthetiser.
Also, could you send me the alfabet  on signwriting and the
principles you have defined for teaching signwriting?
To have a good transcription on a haptic format, the signs need to be
in about 2 inches in diameter.
I have done some basic experiment and interesting as it may seem, it
was possible to comunicate a full sentence to a person with
reasonable knoledge on Libras, Brasillian Sign Language.
I hope to be able to exchange information with you or and other
researcher who might be interested in signwriting.
I am a professor of inclusive education at the Universidade Federal
de Peernambuco, UFPE, in Brazil.My Phd was on sensory psychofisics
and my work includes research on haptic drawing by the blind and
other areas of mental representation on two-dimensional pictures.
My area of interest also includes the theory of inclusion and the
education of people with disability as well. I current work with non
verbal autistic persons and people with Down Sindrome.
As you can see, I am very much interested in your work, also because
it is one of the best tools I have seen for the inclusion of people
with hearing impairement.
Preserve one's language is one of the most important and eficient
tool to preserve human's independence.
That is my way of seeing the subject.
Hence, congratulation for your outstanding work and contribution for
humankind. Yes, contribution for humankind. And I mean it!
Best regards,
Dr. Francisco Lima

sutton at signwriting.org
  <Sutton at SignWriting.org