facial expressions

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 8 21:54:40 UTC 2006

Well, as one of the northern Europeans,

and one transcribing from natie signers' videos, I must say that at least in
  Norway, there are two types of neccessay information give by the face:

1:there are the 'non-manuals', the special facial expressions belonging to
Norwegian SL itself, and
2: there are the mouthing movement stemming from borrowing from Norwegian
spoken language. Norwegian signers tend to focus on the mouth, with the
hands and the eybrows etc etc being in more of a side-view.

In addition to these two main informations given by the face, there is also,
as Val said, information about the mood, so, yes, the face is very
important.

Ingvild