SignText: Editing Jack and Jill

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jul 6 21:55:04 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 6, 2006

Hello Cherie!
Thank you for this message!

Cherie Wren wrote:
> hmmm... I know I sent a message with the answer to
> that earlier today from work...  another message lost!
>  I think this list software down't like me! ;-(

Ha! Everyone is having the same problem, Cherie, and you are not the
only one who has messages being lost. I am sorry we didn't get your
message...but thank you for trying again! I am going to call Valencia
College to ask them what to do about the List software...I am sorry
for the inconveniences it is causing you...

Meanwhile your story just makes me soooo happy! We need literature so
badly...

> I said that I have pretty much a neutral face-- no
> topic or anything... which is to say nothing
> grammatical.  If I was signing it to the preschool
> class I would almost certainly be smiling... so that
> is fine.

OK. Then I will take away the eyebrows but leave the smiling face? I
will send a new diagram next message... It helps the reader to see a
face in the beginning...to establish that there is a storyteller who
is creating an atmosphere and a smile creates a pleasant, child-
focused atmosphere almost immediately...Linguistically that may not
be important, but when it comes to publishing the story in a
children's book or web page, it isn't only grammatically correct, but
also portraying a feeling...a little like a pleasant voice versus a
booming frightening voice......putting nothing there becomes totally
neutral and void of feeling at all...it is monotone...

> I find that I am focusing on a particular
> aspect of writing, I think, so that I leave other
> things out.  I am focused so hard on trying to get the
> hand-stuff written correctly, that I only throw in a
> face when it is required for grammar or is otherwise
> big enough for me to -really- notice when I am
> "feeling/seeing out" (as opposed to sounding out)my
> words.  ::grin::  have to work on that...  Someday
> I'll actually get good at this... I promise!

You are already outstanding, Cherie! I am totally impressed and we
need everyone's literature very badly. So please don't take any of
this editing stuff as a criticism...quite the opposite...The editing
is happening because we want to publish it!

I never forgot when I wrote my first book. I was 22 and in those
years, life was totally different. No computers...just gally sheets
of typesetting that we had to read word by word in long
strips...exhausting...and I had four editors and they criticised it
heavily...but in the end...it was still my book and but it was a
better book because people gave me feedback...I guess I got a tough
skin through that experience and I assume people will edit my work
too...it is an important part of the process of becoming published...