facial expressions

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Sun Jul 9 07:20:05 UTC 2006

Hi All!!

Here in the south of England the "oral" English features of BSL go on a
spectrum amongst different signers. Some apply English "keywords" to
every single sign, some only keyword a selection of signs, some keyword
only those signs which they feel they can make more specific by
keywording, some keyword only fingerspelling, and some use no English at
all.

This seems to me to depend strongly on the sort of education a person
got, and education for the Deaf in England being a rather confused
affair, all sorts of signing styles can be seen.

On the whole, strong keywording isn't much liked, even amongst people
who habitually use it. It slows the signing, interferes with native BSL
mouth patterns and even mood indicators, discourages the use of visual
aspects of the language, and places higher demands on the listeners'
concentration. People with Usher's can have a very hard time of it.

As one of the many learners who are practising to eradicate English lip
patterns from their own BSL, I certainly wouldn't introduce it into my
SignWriting!

Sandy