SignWriting Mission Statement

Sun Jun 18 17:53:46 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
June 18, 2006

Dear SW List -
Recently I have been writing a grant, and they asked me what our
Mission was?

This is what I wrote. Does this seem clear to all of you? Anything
you would add or change?...

A Mission Statement means ...what is our goal?....what is our hope
for the future?...

SignWriting Mission Statement

Mission 1: To provide all Sign Language users a written form for Sign
Language.

Mission 2: To provide all Deaf cultures a way to document their
native languages.

Mission 3: To raise the literacy levels and self-esteem of all Sign
Language users.

Mission 4: To provide software for preparing and publishing written
Sign Language.

Mission 5: To provide free education in SignWriting to all Sign
Language users.

Mission 6: To provide training for teachers to teach SignWriting and
related software.

Mission 7: To place published written Sign Language Literature on
library shelves.

Mission 8: To educate the world that Sign Languages are now written
languages!